Directorate of Higher Education
We promote the cause of Higher Education in Delhi
Directorate of Higher Education was set up in the year 1997. It was given the independent responsibility of looking after the college branch of the Education Department vide Cabinet decision No. 174 dated 25th May, 1996. The Directorate is also the administrative department for Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University (GGSIPU) which was established by the Government of Delhi in the year 1998 through the Indraprastha Vishwavidyalaya Act, 1998. At present the Directorate of Higher Education is located at BTE Complex, Muni Maya Ram Marg, Pitampura, Delhi-110034
- To promote the cause of higher education and to prepare comprehensive policy for Higher Education in the field of Engineering, Architecture, Management, Medicine, computer science etc.
- To open new colleges in various localities of Delhi.
- To Release Grant in Aid to colleges as per policy.
- To ensure that the accounts of the colleges partly or wholly funded by the Directorate are audited by the Examiner, Local Funds Accounts (ELFA), Dte. Of Audit.
- To acquire suitable sites for new colleges.
- To grant No Objection Certificates to the educational institutions and colleges seeking affiliation with Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University.
- To give award to meritorious students pursuing courses in general stream in Government Colleges.
- To grant financial aid for conservation of historical and old buildings of Delhi from which several prestigious colleges of Delhi are run.
Funds to Colleges :
The Department provides financial assistance to colleges. Out of these 12 colleges are wholly funded by the Departments and the remaining 16 colleges are given grant in aid to the extent of 5 % of their recurring expenses and upto 50 % of their non-recurring expenditure.
Future Plan :
The Directorate of Higher Education has immense scope in the coming years for imparting quality college Education to the younger generation in the National capital Territory of Delhi.
Our Vision for the Future :
This Directorate of Higher Education would like to ensure that no student of Delhi leaves the city for pursuing higher education in other states only because no seats in the course of his choice were available in colleges in Delhi. Further the Department is also committed to ensuring that no deserving student of the city be deprived of professional qualifications of his/her choice.